In their book ‘The Tangible Kingdom’, Hugh Halter and Matt Smay mention 5 questions they use to facilitate Bible studies:
- What do you like in this passage?
- What don’t you like in this passage?
- What don’t you understand?
- What does this passage teach you about God?
- Regardless of where your faith is right now, if you were to put the message of this passage into practice this week, would would it look like?
We tried these questions last night in our gospel community – and found that they were so simple and non-threatening that the level of participation went right up: everyone felt capable of answering them and, surprisingly, the responses were more profound than would have been the case if we’d gone through a typical inductive set of questions designed to get a particular ‘point’ across.
We’re going to use this approach quite a lot I feel. I recommend others give it a try and see what happens.